The Dependant’s Pass (DP) is a pass issued to a foreign child so that he or she is allowed to remain in Singapore until adoption is finalised. Prospective adopters (regardless of nationality) who wish to adopt a foreign child must apply for a DP for the child. You can only have a foreign child under your care after obtaining an In Principle Approval letter for the child’s DP application.
Before applying for the DP, you must have obtained a favourable Home Study Report.
How to apply for the Dependant’s Pass
- Log in to DP Online to fill out the application and upload the required documents.
- If all documents are submitted, the outcome of your DP application will be published within 1 month of the date of application.
If the documentation is incomplete, you will be contacted to submit outstanding documents. It will then take more than 14 days for you to know the outcome.
- If your application is successful, MSF will issue an in-principal approval letter for the child to be brought into Singapore for the purpose of adoption. You will then make an appointment with MSF to collect the DP.
Alternatively, you can submit the hard copy of your application through the following ways:
i) Application by Post, addressed to:
Child Welfare/ Child Protective Service
Ministry of Social and Family Development
512 Thomson Road, #10-00
ii) by dropping the application together with copies of documents, sealed in an envelope, in the “MSF Drop Box” located on the first floor lobby of the MSF building. Please address the envelope to Child Welfare/Child Protective Service, 10th floor.
All documents submitted after 4.30pm will be considered as the next working day’s submission.
For hard copy submission:
- Complete and sign Form 12A.
- Submit certified true copies of the required documents found in this Checklist for Application of Dependant's Pass. Provide an official translation of the documents if they are not written in English.
- MSF will not be accepting DP applications in person.
Important things to note:
- Do note that only applications with complete set of forms and documents will be processed.
- Applications with complete set of forms and documents will be processed within two weeks from receipt of the application.
If your application is successful, MSF will issue an in-principal approval letter for the child to be brought into Singapore for the purpose of adoption.
You will then make an appointment with MSF to collect the DP. You must bring the child along with you for the collection of the DP. During the appointment, you are required to bring along the original documents (submitted for the DP application) for verification.
- The DP is valid for a period of 9 months. You need to pay *$60 for application fee and *$150 for the issuance of the DP. You are also required to pay $30 for each visa issued for the child to enter Singapore. Please bring the exact amount in cash when you collect the DP.
- You also need to prepare a security deposit ranging from $1,000 to $2,000 on the day you collect the DP. The exact amount required will be stated in the in-principal approval letter to you.
Payment for the security deposit can be made by NETS, or in the form of a Cashier’s Order or Banker’s Guarantee, issued in favour of “AG/MSF”. The amount will be refunded 2 months after the foreign child has been legally adopted in Singapore or repatriated to his or her country of origin.
How to renew the Dependant’s Pass after 9 months
A Dependant’s Pass (DP) will only be renewed on valid reasons, for example, if the investigation by the Child Welfare Officer has not been completed or the adoption outcome is pending. Application for the renewal of Dependent's Pass (DP) has to be made (1) one month before expiry date of the pass.
For the renewal of the DP:
- The process is the same as an application for a DP. The list of required documents can be found in this Checklist for Renewal of Dependant's Pass.
- The application for renewal will be processed within two weeks after you submit the completed application form and required documents.
- If your application is successful, MSF will issue the DP. It is valid for a maximum of 6 months. You need to pay $150 for the issuance of the DP. Please bring the exact amount in cash when you collect the DP.
How to get a refund of the security deposit
If the Adoption Order is granted, you are to submit a copy of the child’s new Singapore Birth Certificate to MSF for the refund of the security deposit.
If the Court dismisses your application, you are required to return the Dependant’s Pass to MSF for cancellation.
You will receive the refund within two months after submission of the relevant documents (if Adoption Order is passed) or the Dependant’s Pass (if the Family Court had dismissed the adoption application).