Start of content


Who can Adopt?




If you wish to adopt a child, please ensure that you meet the following requirements for adoption in Singapore.

If you wish to adopt a child from China, there are additional requirements. For more information, please refer to How to adopt a child from the People's Republic of China.


  • Residency Status
    You and your spouse must be residents in Singapore to adopt, i.e. Singapore Citizens or Permanent Residents, or holders of Employment Pass, Dependant's Pass or any other Pass which the Family Court deems as residents in Singapore. This is in accordance with Section 4(6) of the Adoption of Child Act (ACA).
  • Age
    You and your spouse must be at least 25 years old and at least 21 years older than the child to be adopted.

    If you or your spouse is under 25 years old and/or less than 21 years older than the child, the adoption may be allowed if you or your spouse and the child are related by blood, or if there are other special circumstances justifying the adoption. This is in accordance with Section 4(2) a(i)(ii) of the ACA.
  • Maximum age gap between adopter and child
    Both you and your spouse should not be more than 50 years older than the child. As an adoptive parent, you are responsible for providing education and protecting the welfare of your adopted child until he or she is independent. You must ensure that you have the physical and financial means to see the child through this journey.
  • Marital status
    If you are a single male, you are not allowed to adopt a girl, unless there are special circumstances to justify the adoption. This is in accordance with Section 4(3) of the ACA. If you are married and intend to adopt alone, you must obtain the consent of your spouse. This is in accordance with Section 4(5) of the ACA.
  • Home Study Report
    If you wish to adopt a foreign child or a child from MSF, you are required to apply for a Home Study Report.
  • Pre-adoption Briefing
    You and your spouse should attend a compulsory Pre-Adoption Briefing (PAB) before you apply for a home study or begin the legal proceedings on adoption. For more information, refer to Pre-Adoption Briefing.
  • Endorsement from your home country (for non-Singapore Citizens who would like to adopt a foreign child)
    You must obtain endorsement from your home country through your embassy or High Commission. Your country must support and recognise the adoption.

    You will need to submit the following letter of support, duly completed and endorsed by the relevant authority of your country before commencing home study in Singapore. Download:
  • Adoption Endorsement for European Union Nationals
    Singapore adoption orders made on or after 3 January 2014 will not be recognised automatically in these countries:
    • England
    • Wales
    • Scotland
    • Northern Ireland
    For British Nationals:
    You will not be able to adopt a child in Singapore. Visit Gov.UK for more information.

    For all other Nationals of the European Union:
    Before identifying a child in Singapore and starting on your adoption application, you have to submit a completed and endorsed letter of support.

    Download the Letter of Support for EU nationals (PDF)issued on 1 Feb 2014
  • Adoption of a second and subsequent child
    Before you consider adopting another child, you are strongly encouraged to make sure that your first adopted child has adjusted and bonded well with your family and the environment. Introducing another new member to your family too soon can cause confusion and uncertainty for your child. You may also have to deal with sibling rivalry issues.

    You will be required to do a second home study report on your current circumstances. The report assesses how ready you are to parent another child and will take into account the welfare of your first adopted child, parent-child bonding and your current family circumstances. You may have to wait for at least nine months from the date you adopted your first child (as indicated in the Adoption Order) before you can register for the second report.