The Council helps individuals and their families deal with problem gambling and seeks to minimise the impact of problem gambling on society.
What We Do
Our mission is to work with the community to reduce the impact of problem gambling on individuals, families and society.
1. To provide advice and feedback to the Ministry on social concerns related to problems arising from gambling.
2. To execute Casino Exclusions and Visit Limits in accordance with the Casino Control Act and within prevailing policies on casino social safeguards.
3. To support and implement effective programmes with regard to:
- Public education and outreach on problem gambling;
- Public communications and consultation of stakeholders on gambling-related issues;
- Responsible gambling practices by legalised gambling operators;
- Research into problem gambling; and
- Prevention and treatment services for problem gamblers and their families.
The Ministry provides Secretariat support to the Council.
The National Council on Problem Gambling (NCPG) is a council comprising 15 members with expertise in psychiatry and psychology, social services, counselling, legal, rehabilitative as well as religious services.
Mr Tan Kian Hoon
Managing Director, Suntec Real Estate Consultants Pte Ltd
Mr Gerald Singham
Deputy Managing Partner, Dentons Rodyk & Davidson LLP
Professor David Chan
Professor of Psychology and Director of the Behavioural Sciences Institute, Singapore Management University
Dr Cecilia Chu
Clinical Psychologist, Raffles Counselling Centre, Raffles Hospital
Mr Nicholas Aaron Khoo
Senior Vice President (Asia Pacific), Sandbox & Co (SBX), and Chairman and Co-founder, Singapore's Cybersports and Online Gaming Association
Mr Kua Soon Khe
Chief Executive, Singapore Buddhist Federation
Ms Annie Lee
Executive Secretary, Association for Professionals Specialising in Addiction Counselling, Singapore
Mr Ling Kin Huat
1st Vice President, Taoist Federation (Singapore)
Mdm Rahayu Mohamad
President, Singapore Muslim Women's Association (PPIS)
A/P Seng Boon Kheng
Associate Professor and Head, Social Work Programme, School of Human Development and Social Services, Singapore University of Social Sciences
Mr Sowaran Singh
Family Mediator (Family Dispute Resolution), Family Justice Courts
Dr Tan Hwee Sim
Consultant Psychiatrist, Raffles Counselling Centre, Raffles Hospital
Ms Teo Lin Lee
Director, Meishin International
Mr P Thirunal Karasu
Director, Singcorp International Pte Ltd
Professor Brenda Yeoh
Vice Provost (Graduate Education), National University of Singapore
Background of NCPG
The National Council on Problem Gambling (NCPG) was appointed in August 2005 by the Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports (MCYS)* as part of Singapore’s national framework to address problem gambling.
The Council’s first two-year term began on 31 August 2005.
*The Ministry was restructured on 1 November 2012 to become the Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF).