The Commissioner helps parents who are unable to maintain themselves adequately get support from their children through conciliation.
What We Do
The Commissioner for the Maintenance of Parents tries to resolve parents’ claims for maintenance at his end without having them to resort to the Tribunal for the Maintenance of Parents which is the legal platform.
How the Commissioner can help:
1. Provide Conciliation
The Commissioner conducts conciliation sessions with parents and/or with their children with the aim of helping the parties reach an agreement on the amount of maintenance to be given and accepted.
2. Refer Families to Community Resources
The Commissioner also informs and assists parents in exploring other non-legal options such as community resources which can provide mediation, counselling and other family services.
3. Represent Eligible Parents in Lodging a Claim at the Tribunal for the Maintenance of Parents
Under certain circumstances, the Commissioner may represent parents in applying for maintenance at the Tribunal.
The Commissioner for the Maintenance of Parents is appointed under the Maintenance of Parents Act (Cap 167B).
- Tribunal for the Maintenance of Parents
The Tribunal, established under the Maintenance of Parents Act, provides a legal recourse for elderly parents to seek maintenance from their children when they are unable to support themselves adequately.
Who We Help
The Commissioner helps parents who are:
- aged 60 and above, domiciled and resident in Singapore and unable to look after their basic maintenance needs; or
- below the age of 60 but not in good physical or mental health, or have some special reason for being unable to look after their basic needs.
You can contact the Office of the Commissioner for the Maintenance of Parents by telephone: 1800 222 0000 (ComCare toll free line).
Or visit the office at:
Family Link @ Lengkok Bahru
8 Lengkok Bahru, #02-01
Monday to Friday: 8:30am to 5pm
Saturday, Sunday & Public Holiday : Closed
139 (Lengkok Bahru)
14, 123, 139, 147, 153, 196, 197, 198, 855, 961,961C (Jalan Bukit Merah)
Nearest MRT station: Redhill