1. Students from three Institutes of Higher Learning are exploring how to redesign the interior of the 36-year-old building that houses the Registries of Civil and Muslim Marriages (ROM and ROMM) at Fort Canning. Mr Desmond Lee, Minister for Social and Family Development, announced ROM and ROMM’s collaboration with Singapore University of Technology & Design (SUTD), Temasek Polytechnic and Ngee Ann Polytechnic, at a discussion today with students from the three Institutes.
2. Mr Lee said, “Saying, “I Do” is the first of many memories that couples experience in their lives together; and a strong marriage is the foundation for happy, loving families. As the Registries have borne witness to many generations of couples getting married, the collaboration with design school students is a wonderful opportunity for them, as potential future users of ROM and ROMM, to shape this iconic building.”
3. As part of the Singapore Memories Project, ROM and ROMM encourage members of the public to contribute their ROM and ROMM memories to “MyROMStory” portal. Reflecting and sharing their memories can help couples to re-commit to each other as they go from “I Do” to “I Still Do”. “MyROMStory” was launched on Valentine’s Day this year, and can be accessed via the Singapore Memories Project website ( www.singaporememory.sg/campaigns/myromstory ).
4. Today’s session is part of a line-up of events celebrating strong and lasting marriages, organised in conjunction with the Families for Life’s annual “I Still Do” initiative. From February to April 2019, couples from all ages and walks of life are invited to participate in a host of activities to celebrate their love and marriage. Key highlights include the following (details in Annex A)
- The “I Still Do” Couples’ Picnic on 16 March 2019 where couples can re-affirm their love and commitment to each other; and
- The Golden Jubilee Wedding Celebrations on 13 April 2019 which aims to honour couples in Singapore who celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary or beyond in 2018 and exemplify committed and strong marriages.