At Celebrating Our Grands - A Song from Me to You contest organised by Families for Life and Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce & Industry
The Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF), in collaboration with the Singapore Post Limited (SingPost), launched a set of four stamps as part of the Year of Celebrating SG Families (YCF) celebrations on Saturday, 8 October. The Celebrating our Grands campaign, which falls one day after Children’s Day, shows appreciation for our grands or elderly extended family members such as grandaunts or granduncles.
2. At the Celebrating Our Grands - A Song from Me to You contest, jointly organised by Families for Life (FFL) and the Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce & Industry (SCCCI), the set of commemorative stamps was unveiled by Guest-of-Honour Ms Indranee Rajah, Minister in the Prime Minister's Office.
3. Featuring FFL mascot Becky Bunny which embodies the core family values of Love, Care and Concern, Commitment, and Respect, the stamp set celebrates SG families and spotlights our family values. It aims to encourage all Singaporeans to build strong relationships with their immediate and extended families, especially since this year is dedicated as the Year of Celebrating SG Families.
Strong Support from Partners for the Year of Celebrating SG Families
4. MSF had designated 2022 as the Year of Celebrating SG Families, or YCF for short. YCF is a whole-of-society movement fronted by our community partner FFL, with the strong support from other partners from the public, private and people sectors.
5. The unveiling of the YCF commemorative stamp set at Celebrating Our Grands - A Song from Me to You contest, supported by SCCCI, exemplifies the strong community support for YCF. The A Song from Me to You contest is a family community engagement where participants record and sing a song in English, Malay, Mandarin, or Tamil dedicated to their grandparent(s). The event served an opportune reminder for everyone to spend quality time with their families, especially the grandparents, and forge closer bonds. The Celebrating Our Grands event was also held at the SCCCI’s newly renovated premise with prize sponsorships from its members, including the grand prize of a Capella Singapore Staycation including a complimentary breakfast for three.
6. “I am heartened that this “Celebrating Our Grands” singing contest has received many entries from Singaporean families of different ethnic groups. This initiative fits very well with the Forward Singapore exercise which seeks to strengthen our social compact and build a more cohesive society. Through today’s singing contest and more future initiatives, SCCCI will continue to promote a sense of belonging to Singapore and our sense of mutual responsibility and inclusivity towards each other.” said Mr Kho Choon Keng, President of SCCCI.
7. FFL Council Chairman Mr Ishak Ismail added, “We are indeed very happy to collaborate with SCCCI to celebrate and respect our grandparents who serve as important role models. Through Celebrating Our Grands campaign, we hope to instil in our young the four core family values of love, care and concern, commitment, and respect and encourage family members to show respect and care for their grands. Strong family relationships provide the conduit through which our elders can pass on values and lessons learnt to the younger generation. We hope more families will take the time to keep family ties strong.