The Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF) has received the recommendations by the Steering Committee for the 3rd Enabling Masterplan. Minister for Social and Family Development Mr Tan Chuan-Jin thanked Ms Anita Fam, the Committee's Chairperson, and members of the Steering Committee for the comprehensive report.
MSF noted the extensive consultation exercise the Steering Committee had undertaken, in seeking feedback from persons with disabilities, caregivers, employers, service providers, government agencies and members of the public in drafting the recommendations and report. MSF will study the recommendations carefully and respond in due course.
The Enabling Masterplan is a five-year roadmap that guides the building of a more inclusive society. The 3rd Enabling Masterplan will guide initiatives for the period 2017-2021, building on the progress of the 2nd Enabling Masterplan (2012-2016) in building a caring and inclusive society for persons with disabilities.
The full report is available for download here.
1. What is the Government's response to the 3rd Enabling Masterplan?
MSF is appreciative of the Steering Committee for their hard work over the past 8 months. We will be studying the report carefully, and provide a response in due course.
2. What is the progress under Enabling Masterplan 2 (EM2)?
The EM2 guided the development of programmes and services in the disability sector from 2012 to 2016. There have been significant developments in areas such as early intervention, education, employment, adult care and in raising awareness on persons with disabilities and in recognising their abilities.
Some of the key developments include:
- Setting up of SG Enable in 2013 as an agency dedicated to enabling persons with disabilities, especially in the area of training for employability, and enabling employment of persons with disabilities in the open market.
- Singapore ratified the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities in July 2013.
- Children with special needs will be included under the Compulsory Education Act from 2019 onwards.
A brief report on the initiatives implemented under EM2 can be found at https://www.msf.gov.sg/policies/Disabilities-and-Special-Needs/Documents/EM2%20progress%20report.pdf
3. Who do you foresee as stakeholders in implementing the 3rd Enabling Masterplan?
The 3rd Enabling Masterplan will require the collective effort of the nation working closely together to make our society an inclusive one for persons with disabilities. This includes the various Government agencies, voluntary welfare organisations, private employers and companies who hire persons with disabilities, as well as members of the public.
4. How are the recommendations under this Masterplan different from the previous Masterplans?
We will study the recommendations made in the 3rd Enabling Masterplan in detail. We understand that the recommendations emphasise the building of an ecosystem of support for persons with disabilities to improve their quality of life as they transition through the life stages. This includes supporting caregivers, who play an integral role in the lives of persons with disabilities, as well as society at large, in enabling a more caring and inclusive society.