2. The inaugural GJWC took place on 17 March 2018, to honour couples in Singapore who exemplify committed and strong marriages, and for the families to celebrate this memorable milestone together. About 1,200 guests, comprising about 170 couples who have been married for 50 years or more, and their family members, attended the event which was graced by Mdm Halimah Yacob, President of the Republic of Singapore. (Refer to Annex B for the factsheet of the event.)
3. Couples celebrating their Golden Jubilee Weddings in 2019 will receive a commemorative marriage certificate if at least one party is a Singapore Citizen, and had registered their marriage with either the Registry of Marriages (ROM) or the Registry of Muslim Marriages (ROMM). As part of the celebrations, eligible couples will also renew their commitment to each other. More details will be released later.
4. Eligible couples, their family members or friends can contact ROM (Call 6338 7808 or email to MSF_ROM@msf.gov.sg) or ROMM (call 6337 0207 or email to MCCY_ROMM@mccy.gov.sg) to register their interest or to nominate eligible couples. Registration will open from 24 July to 24 September 2018 (both dates inclusive).
Eligibility Criteria for Golden Jubilee Wedding Celebrations 2019
To be eligible to participate in the Golden Jubilee Wedding Celebrations 2019, a couple must meet the following criteria
- The couple must be married for 50 years or more in 2018.
- The couple must not have previously attended the inaugural Golden Jubilee Wedding Celebrations on 17 March 2018.
- The couple must have had their marriage registered at ROM or ROMM.
- At least one party must be a Singapore Citizen.
In case of overwhelming response, priority will be given to couples who are from the older cohorts.
Details needed when signing up
- Both parties’ full names
- Identification numbers
- Date of marriage registration
- Preferred mode and details of contact (email address and/or telephone number)
- Mailing address
About Golden Jubilee Wedding Celebrations
- The inaugural Golden Jubilee Wedding Celebrations on 17 March 2018 was organised for couples who had responded to ROM and ROMM’s earlier announcement on the presentation of commemorative marriage certificates to couples who had been married for 50 years in 2017. Eligible couples were invited to attend the celebrations.
- The Golden Jubilee Wedding Celebrations is part of ROM and ROMM’s efforts to celebrate the occasion with married couples in Singapore.
- As part of the celebrations, eligible couples are given the opportunity to renew their commitment to each other at a renewal-of-commitment ceremony. This involves a couple coming together to re-declare the matrimonial commitments they have made to each other, in the presence of their family members. It does not have any fixed form, and is not prescribed by law, race or religion.