Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

The MSF website may undergo scheduled maintenance every Tues, Fri and Sun, from 12am to 9am.
> Click here for the latest Safe Management Measures for weddings.
> Click here for other COVID-19 advisories.
> Click here for COVID-19 FAQs (for support schemes, etc).

Singapore Government

Enhanced STEP-UP

Enhanced STEP-UP

What is Enhanced STEP-UP (ESU)?

ESU is a 12-month support programme provided by Integrated Service Providers (ISPs) for students at risk of dropping out of school and youth who are out of school. Depending on the needs of the client, the programme may be extended for an additional 12 months.

The ESU aims for the client to:

  • Remain in or return to school; or
  • Be engaged in work skills training or employment.

Referral Criteria

To be eligible for ESU, the child/youth must be:

  • Singapore citizen/PR below 21 years old
  • Student in a MOE school/ITE with an absenteeism rate of 20% or more
  • Not in Time-Out Programme, other MSF-funded programmes or under a Court Order

How can I refer a child/youth for ESU?

  • Schools should refer students to the ISP region which the school is situated in. In instances where the student has been absent for an extended period, schools may consider referring the student to the ISP that is closer to the student’s residence. This is in consideration that the ESU caseworker would need to conduct more outreach such as home visits.

    Schools can refer students for ESU, and inform the parent/caregiver about the ESU referral. Parental consent is no longer a prerequisite prior to referral for ESU. Schools should still inform the parent on the ESU referral, and schedule for an Introductory Meeting (IM) involving the school liaison officer, student, parent/caregiver and ISP caseworker. At the IM, the school and ISP caseworker can jointly share on ESU and obtain parental consent.
  • Community agencies who come across suitable cases for ESU should verify with the child’s/youth’s school on their status. If the child/youth is still in school, the community agency should contact the school to consider referring the child/youth for ESU. If the youth is de-registered from school, the community agency can seek parental consent and refer the child/youth. The community agency should then arrange for an Introductory Meeting involving the ESU caseworker, youth and parent/caregiver.

  • If your child/ward is still registered in a school, please contact his/her school to make a referral to an ISP. If he/she is de-registered from school, you may contact the ISPs closest to your residence for further enquiries.

ESU Referral Form.docx
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter More...