ONE IN FOUR PRE-SCHOOLS NOW SPARK-CERTIFIED
With 203 more pre-schools receiving their Singapore Pre-school Accreditation Framework (SPARK) certificates today, one in four pre-schools island-wide are now SPARK-certified. This will provide parents greater assurance of good quality pre-schools across Singapore, offering holistic early childhood programmes, certified by the Early Childhood Development Agency (ECDA).
To date, 59 centres have also been recognised with the new SPARK (Commendation) Certification for their higher quality in teaching and learning practices. In total, there are 431 SPARK-certified pre-schools island-wide. Please see Annex A for details on SPARK.
More pre-schools are applying for SPARK certification to benchmark and raise their centre quality. ECDA received a record of 152 new SPARK applications so far this year, which is a 25 percent increase compared to the same period last year.
Senior Minister of State for Education Indranee Rajah, who presented the certificates to the pre-schools at the ECDA Early Childhood Conference and Carnival 2015, noted that parents found the SPARK certification useful when choosing a pre-school for their children. She said, “I am glad that pre-schools have found SPARK useful in continually raising the quality of their programmes, and parents find this a useful and objective benchmark. ECDA will continue to improve on SPARK as the quality of the sector improves, and I hope more pre-schools will come on board to deliver better quality programmes for our children.”
Annex A - BACKGROUND ON SPARK CERTIFICATE PRESENTATION CEREMONY 2015
SPARK is a voluntary quality assurance framework launched in 2011. It provides pre-schools with quality benchmarks, guides their improvement efforts and helps them establish systems and processes. For parents, SPARK serves as an added source of information on quality to guide them in the selection of pre-schools.
SPARK certification evaluates pre-school education programmes catering to four to six year-old children in kindergartens and child care centres, and the Quality Rating Scale comprises six criteria: Leadership, Planning and Administration, Staff Management, Resources, Curriculum, and Pedagogy. Each certification is valid for three years.
SPARK (Commendation) Centres
In January 2015, ECDA introduced a new Commendation category for SPARK certification. Centres that qualify for this category are assessed to have higher quality in teaching and learning practices. Those that were already SPARK-certified in 2013 and 2014 were awarded their Commendation category retrospectively. There were 36 such centres.
23 of the 203 centres receiving their SPARK certificates today were awarded the SPARK (Commendation) certification. They are:
- Choa Chu Kang Bible Centre Kindergarten
- Just Kids @ Yishun Pte Ltd
- Living Sanctuary Kindergarten
- My First Skool (446A Jalan Kayu)
- My First Skool (50 Havelock Rd)
- My First Skool (518 Jurong West St 52)
- Odyssey The Global Preschool Pte Ltd (Fourth Ave)
- Pat's Schoolhouse Pte Ltd (Aroozoo)
- PCF Sparkletots Preschool @ Bukit Batok East Blk 208 (CC)
- PCF Sparkletots Preschool @ Cheng San-Seletar Blk 533 (KN)
- PCF Sparkletots Preschool @ Fengshan Blk 184 (CC)
- PCF Sparkletots Preschool @ Jalan Kayu Blk 517 (CC)
- PCF Sparkletots Preschool @ Kembangan Chai Chee Blk 116 (KN)
- PCF Sparkletots Preschool @ Pioneer Blk 654B (KN)
- PCF Sparkletots Preschool @ Pioneer Blk 662B (KN)
- PCF Sparkletots Preschool @ Punggol Central Blk 231 (CC)
- PCF Sparkletots Preschool @ Sembawang Blk 504A (CC)
- PCF Sparkletots Preschool @ Sembawang Blk 789 (KN)
- PCF Sparkletots Preschool @ Tampines Central Blk 856 (KN)
- PCF Sparkletots Preschool @ Telok Blangah Blk 78A (KN)
- PCF Sparkletots Preschool @ Ulu Pandan Blk 24 (KN)
- The Little Skool-House International Pte Ltd (At-River-Valley)
- The Little Skool-House International Pte Ltd (At-Tampines-Junction)