A DEDICATED FAMILY ZONE AT GARDENS BY THE BAY
SINGAPORE, 26 November 2022 – Families and couples can now look forward to another space in Singapore to celebrate family milestones and enjoy quality bonding time. The Family Zone, at Gardens by the Bay, was officially launched today by President Halimah Yacob. In attendance were Mr Masagos Zulkifli (Minister for Social and Family Development and 2nd Minister for Health), Ms Sun Xueling (Minister of State for Social and Family Development and Home Affairs), Mr Ishak Ismail (Families for Life (FFL) Council Chairman), Mr Niam Chiam Meng (Gardens by the Bay Chairman), Mr Felix Loh (Gardens by the Bay Chief Executive Officer), and more than 500 families.
2. The Family Zone is a legacy project of the Year of Celebrating SG Families (YCF) and symbolises the whole-of-society commitment to a family-friendly Singapore under ‘A Singapore Made for Families 2025’ plan. Developed through a partnership between FFL, Gardens by the Bay, and MSF, the Family Zone spans across Gardens by the Bay’s Active Garden and Silver Garden. It is envisaged to be a family-centric zone where families can gather, spend time meaningfully and strengthen their family bonds through workshops and events organised by partners such as FFL. Families can also celebrate and commemorate different life milestones such as marriage solemnisations.
3. Said Minister Masagos Zulkifli: “Families form the bedrock of our society. They are our first line of care and support when we face challenges. As YCF is coming to a close, it is fitting that we are gathered at Gardens by the Bay to unveil the Family Zone, a legacy project of YCF. This is a symbol of our commitment, beyond YCF, to build A Singapore Made for Families.”
A family-centric zone for every stage of life
4. Singaporean couples looking to solemnise their marriages now have one more location to affirm their nuptials. In addition to the existing premises of Registry of Civil and Muslim Marriages at 7 Canning Rise, the two Registries will also hold solemnisations at the multi-purpose Ficus Room located in Active Garden within the Family Zone – allowing couples the opportunity to mark the first step of their new journey as a married couple and a newly minted family unit.
5. Fans of Becky Bunny - FFL’s mascot which embodies the four core family values of love, care and concern, commitment, and respect - can look forward to an exciting upcoming “Becky Bunny’s Adventures Playground” that is targeted to be completed at the end of next year. The playground features four play areas themed to the family values, where families with young children can play and refresh family values at the same time.
6. All families can enjoy an array of activities and programming organised by FFL at the Family Zone. This includes a weekly bouncy castle galore which will be held at the West Lawn every Saturday in December 2022, FFL’s signature family picnics which will be held every month from January 2023 onwards. Parents and even grandparents can also look forward to parenting and grandparenting programmes.
7. Mr Ishak Ismail, Chairman of FFL Council said, “It is heartening to see families coming together and spend quality time in this newly designated Family Zone. Indeed, it is noteworthy to recognise the completed circle of family life here. The picturesque Gardens by the Bay is a popular dating spot amongst couples, before transiting to the next stage by solemnising their wedding at the Ficus Room. Families with young children can look forward to the new Becky Bunny’s Adventures Playground. Multi-generational families can also enjoy the events and programmes here. By celebrating key milestones in life at the Family Zone, I hope that families can create many fond memories together and reaffirm their commitment to keep the family unit strong. This sentiment is echoed through the Singapore Made for Families 2025 plan, to preserve and strengthen our family core to get a positive ripple effect in the form of a resilient but caring and inclusive society”.
8. Gardens by the Bay Chief Executive Officer Mr Felix Loh added, “Over the years, Gardens by the Bay has been the backdrop to many of life’s significant milestones. The Gardens was envisioned as a People’s Garden for all Singaporeans to enjoy, and 10 years on, this vision continues to drive us to create new experiences and spaces such as the Active Garden to bring people together. As we celebrate our tenth anniversary this year, the Family Zone reinforces our role as a community anchor and what it means to be a People’s Garden”.
9. For more information, please refer to go.gov.sg/celebratingsgfamilies.
Annex A - Frequently Asked Questions - Family Zone at Gardens by the Bay.pdf
Annex B Location of Family Zone in Gardens by the Bay.pdf
Annex C - Glossary of Translated Terms.pdf
MINISTRY OF SOCIAL AND FAMILY DEVELOPMENT
26 NOVEMBER 2022