SPS Faishal affirmed importance of social protection for women and girls at 3rd ASEAN Ministerial Meeting on Women
1. Senior Parliamentary Secretary (SPS) for Social and Family Development, Associate Professor Muhammad Faishal Ibrahim, attended the 3rd ASEAN Ministerial Meeting on Women (AMMW) in Hanoi, Vietnam on 25 October 2018. The AMMW is under the ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community Pillar and comprises ministers representing women and girls in every ASEAN Member State. The AMMW sets the strategic policy direction on ASEAN’s regional cooperation on women matters.
2. Hosted by the Government of Vietnam, the meeting facilitated an exchange of views on opportunities provided by key regional milestones, such as:
• The adoption by the ASEAN Leaders of the Declaration on the Gender-Responsive Implementation of the ASEAN Community Vision 2025 and the Sustainable Development Goals
• Joint Statement on Promoting Women, Peace and Security in ASEAN
• Action Agenda on Mainstreaming Women’s Economic Empowerment in ASEAN
• The implementation of the ASEAN Regional Plan of Action on the Elimination of Violence Against Women
3. SPS Faishal shared Singapore’s views and programmes on the advancement of women as integral and equal members of the society and affirmed the importance of social protection for women and girls. He said, “Gender equality in Singapore is founded on the principle of meritocracy, where equal opportunities are available to men and women. Built upon that is the availability of fundamental resources such as education, social protection and healthcare for all citizens. Singapore’s practical and outcomes-based approach to social protection for woman and girls is exemplified by our efforts under two thrusts – eliminating barriers for women at the workplace, within the community and at home, and strengthening efforts to empower vulnerable groups of women.” Current and emerging challenges faced by women and girls in the ASEAN region, and strategic guidance on leveraging ASEAN’s cooperation to address these were also discussed at the meeting.