MSF website will undergo scheduled maintenance on Saturday, 27 April, 10pm to Sunday, 28 April, 6am. During this maintenance period, users may experience intermittent access issues when accessing the website. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Have a question about MSF? Find quick answers with our chatbot Ask MSF.

Data On The Number Of Cases Lodged With The Commissioner For The Maintenance Of Parents In Past Three Years

Type: Parliamentary Questions

Topic(s): Children & Families


Ms Hany Soh asked the Minister for Social and Family Development (a) what is the total number of cases lodged with the Commissioner for the Maintenance of Parents over the past three years; (b) of which, how many of these cases (i) managed to reach an amicable resolution at the mediation stage (ii) were subsequently referred to the Tribunal for the Maintenance of Parents or (iii) were referred to seek assistance from other community resources, respectively; and (c) what are the types of assistance rendered.

Answer

1 From January 2019 to September 2021, there were 317 cases lodged with the Office of the Commissioner for the Maintenance of Parents (CMP). Of these, 289 cases (91%) were resolved at CMP while the remaining 28 cases (9%) were referred to the Tribunal for the Maintenance of Parents at the point when conciliation was completed. Out of the 317 cases lodged, 48 cases (15%) were referred for financial assistance. CMP has also referred elderly parents and/or their children for social and emotional support at Family Service Centres (FSCs), counselling and other social support agencies but has not tracked the data before September 2021. From September to December 2021, five cases were referred for counselling services.

Total

(Jan 2019 – Sep 2021)

 

2019

2020

Jan – Sep 2021*

Total
(Jan 2019 – Sep 2021)

Number of Cases

143

(100%)

98

(100%)

76

(100%)

317

(100%)

a. Resolved at CMP

127

(89%)

92

(94%)

70

(92%)

289

(91%)

b. Referred to TMP on completion of conciliation

16

(11%)

6

(6%)

6

(8%)

28

(9%)

     

Number of Cases referred for financial assistance

16

(11%)

19

(19%)

13

(17%)

48

(15%)

 

* Data is available only up to September 2021 as some cases lodged between October and December 2021 are pending resolution.