How to help someone who is abused
- Approach him privately, and make him feel understood.
- Express your concern and encourage him to share his feelings. Be patient and take time to listen.
- Offer to accompany him to see a doctor if he sustains physical injuries.
- Inform him about sources of help and provide him with emotional and practical support.
- Help take care of his children or accompany him to the help agencies if needed.
- Don't downplay the violence and tell him that everything will be fine.
- Don't try to solve his problem and insist that he must do what you say.
- Don't judge or criticise his decision even if he shows that he is not ready to do something positive about it.
- Respect his decision and assure him of your support if he decides to seek help.
- Don't lose your patience. Continue to support him and keep in touch with him.
Last Reviewed On Thu, Feb 9, 2017