You are required to fulfill the following criteria:
- Be married and apply together as a couple
- Be at least 25 years old
- Be medically fit to care for children
- Have at least a secondary school education
- Preferably have experience in caring for children
- Have a minimum monthly household income of $2,000 and a per capita income of at least $700. Retirees can apply to be assessed based on non-work sources of income and saving.
- Commit to provide a child-safe home environment. This includes refraining from the use of physical punishment such as caning or hitting. For foster parents caring for children below the age of 13, a child-safe environment includes having window grilles
on all windows.